Firefighters' Pension Scheme 2015 (England)
Membership of FPS 2015 is open to any person taking up employment as a firefighter with a fire and rescue authority on or after 1 April 2015 on terms under which he or she is, or may be, required to engage in firefighting, and whose role includes resolving operational incidents, or leading and supporting others in the resolution of such incidents. Enrolment into the Scheme is automatic on appointment.
It does not matter what duty system Firefighters are contracted to work it can be a whole-time or part-time regular firefighter or a retained duty system firefighter. If at a later time, they are moved to a firefighting role that does not include resolution of operational incidents, they can remain a Scheme member provided there is continuity of service.
Firefighters serving before 1 April 2015 and members of FPS 1992 or FPS 2006, will have been transferred compulsorily to FPS 2015 on 1 April 2015 unless on 1 April 2012 they were:
- a. a member of FPS 1992 and within 10 years of the FPS 1992 normal pension age (55),
- b. a member of FPS 2006 and within 10 years of the FPS 2006 normal retirement age (60), or
- c. a member of FPS 1992 or FPS 2006 and covered by "tapered protection" rules.
Those in categories (a) and (b) above can remain a member of their current Scheme until retirement; those in category (c) can remain a member of their current Scheme until they reach the date at which their tapered protection ends.
Those who are compulsorily transferred from an earlier Scheme, whether at 1 April 2015, or at a later date under tapered protection rules, are considered eligible to be members of FPS 2015 even if they no longer satisfy the operational requirements set out above, provided that there is continuity of service.
Firefighter members of FPS 1992 or FPS 2006 who choose to opt out of their current Scheme can join FPS 2015 if they meet the operational and legal requirements for admission.
Current 2015 scheme members guides
1992 scheme members guides
- 1992 Fire Scheme Guides
- 1992 scheme retirement decision tree (PDF, 208.29 KB)
- Understanding reforms unprotected 1992 (PDF, 278.96 KB)
- Understanding the reforms 1992 full protection (PDF, 264.59 KB)
- Understanding the reforms taper protected 1992 (PDF, 282.52 KB)
2006 scheme member guides
- 2006 scheme retirement decision tree (PDF, 203.23 KB)
- Understanding the pension reforms for protected 2006 (PDF, 264.53 KB)
- Understanding the pension reforms unprotected 2006 (PDF, 277.58 KB)
- Understanding the reforms taper protected 2006 (PDF, 282.93 KB)
Retained Duty System (RDS) Modified Scheme
- RDS Employee Guide (4 April 2014) (DOC, 152 KB)
- Expression Of Interest Cover Letter (DOCX, 57.34 KB)
- Expression Of Interest Form (DOCX, 56.18 KB)
- Changes to survivor benefits for same sex spouses and civil partners
- Court of Appeal transitional protections judgement
- Firefighter Pensions – Factsheet
- 10 Point Guide To Pension Reform
- Difference In Firefighter Pension Schemes Across The UK
- CFOs Devolved Administration Pensions
- Open Letter To Firefighters November 2014
- Open Letter To Firefighters October 2014
- Reforms To The Firefighters’ Pension Schemes – Written Ministerial Statement
- Employee Contributions From April 2015
- Open Letter To Firefighters July 2013
- Open Letter To Firefighters Your Pension Decision (PDF, 38.7 KB)
- Open Letter To Firefighters August 2013 (PDF, 31.32 KB)
- Open Letter To Firefighters June 2014
Annual allowance and lifetime allowance
HM Revenue and Customs impose two controls on the amount of pension savings you can make without having to pay extra tax. These controls are known as the Annual Allowance and Lifetime Allowance. More information about this is now available below. Lifetime Allowance Fire Fighters – Fact Sheet and Annual Allowance Fire Fighters – Fact Sheet
Commutation of pension to lump sum – ombudsman decision
We note the determination of the Pensions Ombudsman in the case of Mr Milne v The Government Actuaries Department, ref PO-1327 and we are waiting on further advice from DCLG. Further information about this can be found in the document below. If you feel you are affected by this case, please contact Pension Services. Contact details can be found on the right hand side of this webpage.
Changes to the state pension scheme
Please find attached newsletter regarding End of Contracting Out with effect from 5th April 2016
- Cohabiting Partner Nomination Form 17 (PDF, 204.03 KB)
- Firefighters Death Grant Nomination 17 (PDF, 185.46 KB)
- Membership Form fire 17 (PDF, 225.68 KB)
If you're thinking of opting out of the Firefighters Pension Schemes, make sure you read the notes on opting out which apply to your scheme before filling in the opt out form
- 2015 Scheme opt out notes
- 2006 Scheme opt out notes
- Retained Modified Scheme opt out notes
- 1992 Scheme opt out notes
- Opt out 17 (PDF, 212.72 KB)
Annual Benefit Statement 2019
Please find notes to accompany this years Annual Benefit Statement.
Deferred Benefits Statements 2019
Please find notes to accompany this years Deferred Benefit Statements
WFRS Pension Board
In accordance with the Public Service Pensions Act 2013, a Pensions Board was established from 1 April 2015. The Pensions Board has responsibility for assisting Warwickshire Pension Fund as the Funds Scheme Manager in relation to the following matters:
Securing compliance with the scheme regulations and other legislation relating to the governance and administration of the scheme and any statutory pension scheme that is connected with it
Securing compliance with requirements imposed in relation to the scheme and any connected scheme by the Pensions Regulator
Such other matters as the scheme regulations may specify.
Paul Morley – FOA (Fire Officer’s Association) email@example.com
Anthony Morgan – RFU (Retained Fire Union) firstname.lastname@example.org
Marcus Giles - FBU (Fire Brigades Union) email@example.com
Katie Brown - HR Manager firstname.lastname@example.org
Dawn Suckling - Finance Manager email@example.com
Barnaby Briggs - Deputy Chief Fire Officer firstname.lastname@example.org